1. Call for Civic Engagement! We are a very dynamic area, with lots of apartment dwellers coming and going. That means also that our CCCA officers and volunteers come and go! So we are looking for more folks to join us as observers or officers in the CCCA Executive Board. You don’t need any special skills, just a little bit of time and a lot of civic interest. It’s a great way to get engaged in your neighborhood and learn what’s going on. It also really looks good on a resume. Please contact me if you’d like to discuss joining the team in any capacity: mailto:[email protected].
2. SAVE THE DATE: July 19 CCCA General Meeting: Plans are still being worked out. But we plan to have JBG Smith to come back to talk about development updates for Crystal City, including their draft revised plan for 223 S 23rd Street and 2250 Crystal Drive. Virginia Tech has agreed to come talk about their plans for Potomac Yard. VP Chris Wimbush will also explain the work the Civic Federation is doing on exploring a possible new governance plan for Arlington County.
3. VDOT Feasibility Report is Incomplete and Unsatisfactory: After 10 months of study and public meetings, VDOT released its feasibility report on Route 1 at the final Public Information Meeting June 16. No surprise: the recommendation is to bring Route 1 down to grade. The Livability Working Group released a press release on June 27. Read the full text on the Livability22202 website:
The Arlington 22202 Civic Associations united in Livability22202 find VDOT’s Feasibility Study of Route 1 Multimodal Improvements to be incomplete. It raises further questions, fails to address a number of community concerns, and recommends a traffic pattern that, by VDOT’s own recognition, reduces safety. If Arlington County and the state proceed without addressing these concerns, our community will be further divided by a dangerous, wide road that puts cars before pedestrians and bikes. The Associations urge Arlington County Board not to approve the study when submitted unless these larger questions and concerns are addressed.
4. Reminder of upcoming feedback deadlines (see details in Newsletter):
- July 9 Feedback deadline for:
- 15th Street/Clark Bell Realignment Project
- Crystal City Bike Study
- Army Navy Drive PBL Missing Link Study
- July 12 Comment Deadline for VDOT Route 1 Study