Meetings, Meetings, Meetings! We’re entering a period of many virtual meetings that will affect our community. Stay tuned for updates. We really need volunteers for a number of issues—please consider getting involved.
1. Farewell to Jackie Bianchini: Our Communications Director is moving out of Crystal City and has resigned her position as of August 31. Jackie has been tremendously helpful with her media background and technical expertise. She also worked with previous Membership Liaison Zach Komes, who also moved out of the area in June, on outreach to the rental community and young residents, including a Renters Happy Hour in February before COVID took hold. We will greatly miss her.
2. Volunteers Needed: Many hands will make lighter work. Please consider at least some civic engagement.
CCCA Communications Director: So now we are looking for a recruit with technological expertise who can take over management of our website and help out on Zoom meetings and other tech issues. Some familiarity with graphics or picture design would be helpful. Please contact us if you are interested at [email protected].
We need more volunteers to join our ongoing Livability 22202 working groups: Housing, Open Space, Future of the Underground, and Route 1:East/West Access. Plus, several folks noted the need for a working group on schools and we would love for folks to step forward to create this group. There will eventually be other groups, including perhaps an Arts and Culture group (including the library and a potential Black Box theater). Email your interest to [email protected].
Are you concerned that we might lose Synetic Theatre in the future when its lease expires? Would you like to see a Black Box Theatre somewhere in 22202 to house various performance groups as well? Could it be developed in Crystal City or PenPlace? Join the Livability22202 Arts&Culture working group. Email [email protected].
Highlands Urban Garden: Livability 22202, in partnership with the Friends of Urban Agriculture (FOUA), The National Landing Business Improvement District, and Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation, have launched an urban agriculture demonstration project in Virginia Highlands Park, the Highlands Urban Garden (HUG).Volunteers are needed! To sign up for more information about the project, and learn how you can get involved visit https://urbanag.social/projectHUG
3. Meetings Anticipated in September (at least the ones we know about):
- September 9: Aurora Highlands Civic Association invites ACPD to discuss recent crime wave; follow on Facebook Live
- SPRC on 101 S. 12th Street
- September 10: LPRC on Block M site plans (2000/2001 S. Bell Street 223 23rd Street/2300 Crystal Drive)
- LPRC and Planning Commission community engagement on Pentagon City Phased Development Site Plan Study
- Crystal City Parks Final Community Engagement (BID; JBG Smith)
- September 22: County Board Work Session to discuss the scope of the upcoming Missing Middle Housing Study. Details and a link for live streaming will be forthcoming on the County Board website. Read more here.
- VDOT Community Engagement on Route 1 redesign
- September 30: Livability22202 Meeting on Route 1 redesign plans
- Livability 22202 Underground challenge: The Challenge officially ended July 31, and there were a lot of great submissions. The contest videos will be rolled out soon and there will be a Zoom meeting in September for the judges to announce the winners.