(Updated March 3)
Open Space: Is it important to you?
COVID has shown us how important it is to have parks, trails, and open spaces. Yet 22202 is very lacking in those amenities, except for Virginia Highlands Park and Long Bridge Park. The Livability22202 working group created an open space report in December 2020, but this is no time to rest on our laurels. There is so much more to be done. This is not a roll up your sleeves and dig the ground working group. We are looking for your ideas and input. Join the working group: email [email protected] for more details.
As demonstrated by three recent meetings, we’re starting to have an impact. See the current status here: https://livability22202.org/open-space/ But it’s soooo important to expand membership of the working group to ensure participation, not only geographically across 22202 but also demographically, with emphasis on renters in high rise multifamily buildings needing access to open space. And not just during the COVID pandemic, but year round. An Arlington County Civic Federation White paper shows residents in multifamily units have some of the least access to open space in the County.) Not a surprise to us, is it?
The March 2 Open Space meeting covered:
- 1. Briefings on recent meetings with County staff (DPR, DES, CPHD) and the Parks & Recreation Commission (described on Livability22202 Open Space working group page)
- 2. Presentation of the Civic Federation White Paper on Equity in Arlington County Open Public Spaces
- 3. What does OpenSpace mean to us? (A summary of comments coming soon.)
- 4. Future of the Highlands Urban Garden (HUG) and further projects with FOUA; volunteer here
- 5. Furthering the Integrated Pedestrian Map
- 6. Roaches Run Clean Up Days in April
- 7. Cherry Blossom Festival activities in National Landing and Virginia Highlands Park
- 8. National Landing BID support for open space and Cherry Blossom Festival
See the recording of the meeting on Facebook here and on YouTube here. The PowerPoint presentation for each agenda item can be viewed here. View the Open Space final report, the Fact Sheet, and the press release.